Monday, July 2, 2012

Dark Green Thumb

Hello friends!  

In an effort to change up my lunch routine, I tried out a new recipe today:  smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich.  It's simple but delicious.  

The recipe calls for chickpeas, avocado, fresh cilantro (I subbed in basil), green onion, lime juice (I used 1 T bottled instead of fresh), salt and pepper.

Woops, forgot the green onion in this picture.  
I opted not to rub the skins off the chickpeas (I didn't want to take the time).  You just smash everything together and mix it up, and voila:

I put plastic wrap right on top of the leftover mixture before I put the lid on the container and stored it in the fridge - this should somewhat help to prevent the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown.  
That's it!  Pretty easy and straightforward, but a good way to switch up lunch.  I've never liked mayonnaise so I kind of felt left out of the egg salad-type options for lunch.  But I think this is a great alternative, and I also plan to try making egg salad with Greek yogurt.  




I spread some of the avocado-chickpea mixture on whole grain oat bread and added some lettuce for a delicious sandwich.  Baby carrots and hummus on the side.


So remember when I started growing some herbs?



I planted basil, lavender, rosemary, strawberry, chives, and forget-me-nots.



Well, I used some of the basil that I grew in my chickpea and avocado spread!  



You can probably tell there aren't quite as many pots in the "after" picture as the "before" pictures.  My BFF said I have a dark green thumb - not quite black, but not green :)  I have two pots of rosemary, two pots of basil, two pots of chives, and a pot of forget-me-nots growing.  The lavender petered out, and the strawberries never grew.   But that's okay!  I especially hope that my rosemary keeps growing - between rosemary and basil, I'd pretty much be set.

This morning I took one of my recent favorite exercise classes with my mom - TurboKick!


It's basically kickboxing, as far as I can tell.  I think it's a lot of fun, and very challenging - it's great cardio.

After the class, I tried out coconut water for the first time.


I picked it up the other day, but unfortunately I'm not a fan.  I've read so many things about how hydrating coconut water is because of all of the natural electrolytes, but I don't like coconut... so I think that has something to do with it :)

In other news...


Yep, that happened.  And it was glorious.  Two dollar bills up.

I stopped at the grocery store before the movie to pick up movie snacks.  I tried out this new drink:


It was pretty good, but I prefer Synergy kombucha.  And I had some unpictured Reese's Pieces :)

Lastly, I had to share this audio clip (discovered via Mama Pea).



So hilarious and adorable.  

And on that note, have a great night!

Song of the day:

"Even If It Breaks Your Heart" by Eli Young Band.


2 comments:

  1. Wow look at your herbs! They are so much better fresh! You definitely have a greener thumb then me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are definitely better fresh, and this is much less expensive than buying them fresh from the grocery store. I just hope they keep growing!

    ReplyDelete