Monday, March 19, 2012

Tropical Ohio

So this weather.  70*+ and sunny.  In March.  In Ohio.  I'm a fan.

To celebrate, I made a tropical green smoothie yesterday.


Into the blender went:  1 cup rice milk, 1 T chia seeds, 1 T natural peanut butter, 2 big handfuls of spinach, 1 frozen banana, about 1 cup of frozen pineapple, and (after those ingredients were all blended up) 2 ice cubes.


Refreshing and packed full of nutrients.  Lovely to enjoy with all of my windows open!


So recently it seems like the benefits of drinking lemon water has popped up everywhere.  I mentioned something to my grandma about this and said I wasn't sure if it was just the current fad, or if it is actually beneficial.  She said that her mom (so my great-grandmother) used to drink a glass of lemon water every morning, and she lived to be 92.  I'm going to go ahead and say that it's not just a current fad.

It's supposed to be great for digestion, and although I'm sure it's good to drink it at any time of the day, it's supposed to be especially beneficial if you drink it right when you wake up in the morning.  I've read recommendations of using both hot water and room temperature water, and so far I've only done room temperature water.  I always have a glass of water next to my bed at night, so in the morning I just squeeze a lemon wedge into it and try to drink it all before I eat my breakfast.  Tastes better than plain water, too!


This morning I had purple oatmeal!  I used 1/2 cup of 1-minute oats, 1 cup water, 1 T ground flax seed, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and a spoonful of sunflower seed butter.  Delish.  Although a little watery for my taste - I think chia seeds might have been better than ground flax seed.


It feels good to be eating healthier foods again.  I had a great salad beast for lunch:  spinach, broccoli, grape tomatoes, edamame, kalamata olives, shredded carrots, a hard-boiled egg, raw sunflower seeds, hummus, balsamic vinegar, and red couscous.  So good!  With 2 clementines on the side.

I got back to the gym today, too.  Nothing crazy, just some cardio on the elliptical and stairstepper (while watching Live! with Kelly, per usual).  Yesterday I went on an hour-long walk with my mom to take advantage of this unseasonably warm weather.  Tomorrow I plan to do some strength-training again, but I'm glad I've been able to walk (and be outside!) so much this past week.

Big assignment due tomorrow, so I better get cracking.  After dinner and 2 Broke Girls, of course :)  Can't wait for Hart of Dixie to have new episodes again!  Hope your week is off to a great start so far.

Reader question:  Have you tried drinking lemon water as part of your daily routine?


Song of the day:

"Honor Amongst Thieves" by These United States.




No comments:

Post a Comment