Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Forgot My Forget-Me-Nots

This is what happens when you grocery shop on an empty stomach:


My dinner last night was courtesy of Whole Foods.  I went grocery shopping after class and some errands, and since I didn't know what I was going to do for dinner, I decided to swing by the hot bar.  I ended up loading up at the salad bar instead of the hot bar.  I got lots of goodies: wheat berry Waldorf salad, carrot and beet salad, garlicky kale salad, szechuan green beans, roasted veggies, charbroiled eggplant, lentil salad, and tabbouleh.  The wheat berry Waldorf salad was my favorite - great flavor combo with apples, raisins, and yummy spices.  I found the recipe on WF's website and definitely want to make it myself sometime.

I had half of a strawberry kombucha to drink, and picked up some plums as well.  Aaaaand I got a cookie for dessert.  I'm definitely having chocolate cravings lately (gave it up for Lent) and find myself staring hopelessly into my cupboards and fridge at night, and then eating something that doesn't actually satisfy me.  So I decided to preempt that problem by getting a pumpkin cranberry cookie - I think it was a good decision :)


I cut up a plum and some strawberries - so excited for summer fruit!

Pencil for size comparison!
I was also SUPER excited to find this huge container of strawberries at GFS for $9.99 (where I like to buy huge bags of spinach and frozen fruit in bulk, among other things).  I think that I startled the cashier with my overjoyed exclamations about the strawberries... but that's fine.  I have a feeling that all of my meals are going to include strawberries for awhile.  And that's perfectly fine with me.


I was also really excited by the colors of these eggs I picked up - so pretty!  I can't wait for farmers' markets to start opening soon.  When I lived in DC, the mom of one of my roommates had chickens and sometimes she would give us fresh eggs; they really are so much more flavorful and a real treat.


Every time the weather warms up, I get the urge to plant things.  Unfortunately, I can't say that I've had much luck in the past... nevertheless, the urge hit me again, so I'm going to give it another shot.


I have a basil plant already (which could actually use some TLC...) and I'm going to try growing some lavender, chives, rosemary, and forget-me-nots.  Forget-me-nots are my favorite flowers!  I grew some when I was really little, maybe 5?  And they actually did really well!  I was so sad when we moved from my first house when I was 7 and I forgot to dig them up and bring them with us to our new house, haha.  If I could do it when I was 5, hopefully I can grow them now at 24.  We shall see.


I pulled a chair right up to my kitchen window so I could see the sunset as I ate dinner.  It was another unseasonably warm day, and I wished more than anything that I had a balcony or porch.  I did the next best thing - ate as close to my open window as possible.  One side of my window has a screen and one side doesn't, so I opened the one without a screen to pretend like I was outside.  I was really scared of a bird flying in, though.  But the danger was worth it.


I will never get tired of this view.

This afternoon I did a repeat of Tuesday's workout, with 7 minutes on the elliptical for a warm-up, finishing up with stretching at the end.  I think it was a combination of the tough treadmill workout and this warm weather raising the temperature in the gym that left me drenched!

If you want to enter a fun giveaway for a natural mascara, check out this post by Colourful Palate.  (I want to start spelling things the British/ Canadian way - colourful looks so much prettier than colorful!)

Hope everyone had a great day.  Are you ready for Friday??

Reader question:  Do you have a green thumb?  Or more of a black thumb, like me?


Interesting Articles:
5 Easy Ways to Manage Cortisol, The Stress Hormone
What 100 Calories Look Like: Easter Candy (This made me glad I resisted my urge to buy a HUGE container of jelly beans at GFS!)


Song of the day:

Another throwback song - "Punk Rock Princess" by Something Corporate.  Takes me back to my youth.  And my desperate wish to be "punk" :)  I actually got to interview the lead singer of Something Corporate (and Jack's Mannequin), Andrew McMahon, over the phone one time, and he was super nice.  I had a very brief stint writing music-related articles for the Cleveland Leader, and that interview was one of them.  I always thought it would be amazing to be a music writer for a magazine like Rolling Stone or Spin.  Anyone a fan of Almost Famous?  Love that movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment