Thursday, April 5, 2012

Veggie Stir Fry Recipe

While I'm really not very creative in the kitchen, I did manage to come up with a pretty tasty stir fry recipe last night.  It's a delicious meal with minimal prep and clean-up - great for a weeknight.

Veggie Stir Fry

Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other oil of your choice)
- About 1/4 of a large white onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Bag of frozen stir fry vegetables
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- Handful of mushrooms
- About an inch of fresh ginger, minced

First, and this step is very important, put on your apron!

My BFF Maryam made this apron for me - how awesome is that??  And there are owls on it!  Don't forget to cut your head off if you're using the self-timer to take a picture :)
Next, assemble your cast of characters:


Place 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a wok on medium heat.  After oil has heated up, add onions and garlic, stirring intermittently.  Cover wok with lid when not stirring.


When onions and garlic have become translucent (after about 2 minutes), add the bag of frozen stir fry vegetables and gently break up and stir with spatula.  (My bag contained broccoli, sugar snap peas, green beans, carrots, celery, water chestnuts, onions, and red pepper.)  Cover with lid.


After the veggies have thawed, add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil and stir.  Cover with lid.


Let that cook for a couple of minutes so that the vegetables can absorb some of the liquid.  Next add the zucchini, mushrooms, and ginger.  Stir and cover with lid.  (Do you see a pattern here?  Haha.)


Allow to cook for a few more minutes until all of the vegetables have softened up and have darkened in color from absorbing the liquid, like so:


And there you have it, veggie stir fry!  Pretty simple, yet soooo delicious.

A couple of notes:  I used coconut oil because it is more heat-stable than other oils (like olive or canola), but you can use whatever oil you have on hand.  The great thing about stir fries is that it's very easy to use whatever ingredients you have on hand.  I added frozen vegetables for convenience, but that's definitely optional - feel free to use all fresh ingredients if you wish.  Don't be afraid to omit or add something!  The key is adding the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil - they give the vegetables a wonderful flavor.


I ate about half of the stir fried veggies with couscous and a baked sweet potato, with a kiwi on the side.  Excellent meal.  (And the leftovers tasted great for lunch today - even at room temperature!)


I used couscous because I already had some made from my Sunday prep, but other grains like brown rice or quinoa would also work well.


For the baked sweet potato, I scrubbed the potato to clean it off, pierced it all over with a fork, and placed it on a foil-lined baking sheet and baked at 400* for 45 minutes.  (Adjust time according to size of sweet potato.)  I topped it with some Earth Balance and... wait for it... cinnamon!  Shocking, I know.  It was deeeeeee-lish.

I get to start my weekend early!  Since Easter is on Sunday, I drove to my parents' house after my classes today.  I'm hoping to see a lot family and friends - the time always passes so quickly when I'm here.

Countdown to chocolate:  T-minus 2 days!  Woo!!

Oh yeah, one more important step in making your stir fry:


Run - really, run, you don't want to burn the food! - back and forth from the kitchen to the windows to catch the sunset :)



You can also sock skate back and forth, if you wish.  I'm not the only one who still does that, right?  Right??


Song of the day:

"Never Enough" by JJAMZ.  This is kind of a super group of musicians from a lot of other bands: Alex Greenwald of Phantom Planet (my favorite!!!), Z Berg of the Like (great all-girl band), James Valentine of Maroon 5, Jason Boesel of Rilo Kiley (yay!) and Bright Eyes (nay), and solo artist Michael Runion.  This is their first single from their upcoming album, Suicide Pact, which comes out July 10.  I can't wait - judging by this song, it's gonna be a good one, maybe even my go-to album for the summer.  Plus this video is super cool.  Hope you like it!




1 comment:

  1. I am a vegetarian and I love to cook this kind of recipe.Thanks for sharing.

    Best Stir Fry Recipe

    ReplyDelete